Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lemon Basil Grilled Tofu Sliders




I'm grateful that my meat eating family humors my vegetarian meals. They eat 99% vegetarian at home, and usually without complaint. Though, truth be told, it can be tough sometimes, with picky eaters. Cole, my middle son, doesn't like condiments of any kind, while the rest of my family will try anything, it's not often that we get a unanimous vote of yumminess.

I recently tried to take a different look at the ol' veggie burger, using tofu instead. A first for me, it was decided that while the Mister and myself enjoyed these immensely, the kids did not. I'm not sure why, except maybe that they are used to having tofu fried or baked, instead of grilled. Still, this was very tasty and I would make it again, albeit maybe as a lunch for us grownups.

Ingredients:

1 block extra firm tofu, sliced into 1/4 to 1/2  inch rectangles
juice of one or two lemons
3 tbsp mustard
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped basil
salt and pepper to taste

Hamburger buns or rolls and favorite burger fixings

Mix together the lemon juice, mustard, honey, garlic, oil, basil, salt and pepper. Brush both sides of the tofu slices and let sit for at least an hour.

Grill over medium heat until the tofu is heated through and has those fancy grill marks on each side. Fix burgers as you like, with mayo, pickles, tomato, lettuce.



No comments:

Post a Comment