Saturday, June 23, 2012

Cabbage and Cucumber Salad with Tahini Sauce



In the early morning hours, when I'm stealthily getting ready for class while the rest of my family is still sleeping, I enjoy the quietness of the house. In a large family, someone is always talking or needing attention, and these small moments of being alone are like a sanctuary for me.

I just started reading Planet Walker, a book about a man who didn't speak or ride in cars, in an effort to bring around awareness of environmental issues, for the better part of 2 decades. He stopped talking, he recalls later, because he needed to do more listening.

It's funny how much we, as a species, communicate verbally without being clear and without really listening to each other. This is what I'm thinking about today as I head out to teach my morning class.


On another note, this recipe is from last night's dinner. Crispy and fresh, with the sweetness of the cabbage and the tanginess of the tahini, perfect for summer. I have been using this tahini sauce a lot lately, and you're going to see it used in a few more recipes over the next week or so. So make a big batch and stick it in the fridge, it pairs well with sandwiches, salads and beans.



Ingredients:
1/2 of a head of green cabbage, chopped
2 cucumbers, sliced
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
dried dill, for garnish


Tahini Sauce:
equal parts tahini and water
juice of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves of garlic, minced

Combine the tahini, water, lemon, salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl and whisk together. Adjust water as necessary.

Layer the cabbage and the cucumbers and top with cherry tomatoes. Drizzle the tahini sauce on top and sprinkle with dried dill.





No comments:

Post a Comment