Saturday, April 26, 2014

Whole30 Vegetarian Day 4: Sweet Potato Tacos (Vegan, Paleo).




Today marks day 4 of the Whole30 Vegetarian experiment. 

I'm feeling pretty good, overall. I've been sleeping fantastically, and no sign of my usual insomnia. I am a bit more tired than usual, and a tad cranky here and there. But hungry? Not really.

For breakfast my husband whipped up a quick veggie scramble that I shoved half of down my throat on my way to teach yoga this morning. 


Lunch was a salad with strawberries, tomatoes and romaine in a tahini dressing. I forgot to photograph it as it was consumed while cheering on my eldest son at water polo this morning. That's him: #5. 



Waterpolo and yoga took up most of our day and dinner wasn't planned ahead. I was just going to steam up some veggies, roast a sweet potato and have some soup, but as I was cleaning out our veggie box from the local market, I realized that romaine leaves make perfect little boats. For tacos. I freaking love tacos. If you know me at all, you know this thing about me. 

So I chopped up some sweet potatoes, roasted them with some onion in taco spices, and served them in romaine boats with avocado, alongside asparagus drizzled with balsamic vinegar and a bowl of garden vegetable soup. Perfect, impromptu dinner that even got thumbs up from the 5 year old (the hardest critic in the house!) 

Ingredients:
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 tsp each chili and cumin
 dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
2 large romaine leaves per person

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. 

Meanwhile, toss your potatoes, onion, oil and spices in a large bowl. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake until soft and slightly crispy, about 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally. 

Remove the potatoes from the oven, cool slightly, and serve in romaine leaves with your favorite sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment