Monday, March 26, 2012

Pasta e Fagioli: A Poor Man's Meal


I'm excited to announce that the Yogic Kitchen will be featuring recipes from guest yoga teachers! Today's recipe comes via guest blogger Cori Fratelli, a yoga teacher and mom from Colorado.

Cori Says:

While it may have seemed, at the time,  like my parents could afford the many luxuries of life, looking back I recall many hardships and I make the conclusion that my parents perhaps lived from paycheck to paycheck, like so many of the American population currently do. Time and again....well more specifically, several times a week, my father would cook us "the poor man's meal," as he called it. In my Italian neighborhood growing up, we called this dish Pasta e Fagioli, or pasta and beans. Today I make this meal for my family, and I recall my loving  father standing over the stove cooking this very same scrumptious meal for his family.

Ingredients:

1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil,
2 cups fresh spinach
1/4 of a red onion, sliced
1 can white beans, such as Great Northern or cannellini
1 box spaghetti

Cook it up

Cook pasta according to directions on package.

Meanwhile, saute the garlic until fragrant. Add the spinach, onion and cook until the spinach wilts. Add the beans and heat through. Finally, drain the spaghetti and toss with the spinach mixture, cook another 2 minutes.  Add in more olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment